Its very hot in southern California...and hence time for loose T shirts and simple dinners.
Yesterday, I came up with an impromptu simple salad that balances the heat with heat. Chili flakes in a summer salad.
Spinach-pear-scallion salad. With Chili flakes
But fun is the dressing does not have ANY oil/vinegar in it. And me thinks that is what it made so ultra fresh. You know, if you haven't grown up with the concept of a dressed salad, * like me*, then the flavor of oil becomes almost redundant in some cases. So, here is a thought.
Try salad dressings without the oil/ butter. Especially citrus, summery and veggie ones. I think there is something about the bright flavors that makes those salads ' only betah'.
- Lay down a bed of baby lettuce. If you don't have some on hand, feel free to use Arugula or even chopped up regular lettuce.
- Cut up pears coarsely and lay them over the bed of greens. You can also use any green fruits. I suggest honeydew or guava, if you are looking for something exotic
- Chop up 3-4 stalks of green onions and sprinkle them on top.
- Sprinkle in a half a palmful of raisins
- Followed by little nuts. You know those available for topping cakes. Contains a great mixture for a low price. I got mine for 88 cents and its lasted me three dishes and still going :)
- mix together the juice of 1/3rd fresh lime with 1/3 tsp of chili flakes.
- Drizzle on the salad
- Season with tons of black pepper and little salt. You can use some balsamic vinegar too. Bet will be great
- Toss and serve :)
You are so ready to cool off..and have a trillion tons of it. It will only do you good and you will feel fresh and good. My promise :)
Happy eating and healthy living