What good news don't I share with a 'fishy' celebration?
This opener sets the stage for two things:-
One, I have some good news
Two, I am going to write about my favorite food in the whole wide world. Fish.
First things, First. Awards. I know that everyone is soon going to get very very busy with their birdies. And I can't wait for all the posts. Including mine. It is not a Turkey. But will keep that a secret, for now :). I was talking of fish. No, awards. Sorry. I keep mixing up the two. Btw, a good fish dish to me is no less droolworthy than an award. Okay, I spilled the bean. I got another fantastic award! From this fantastic blogger, Mae of Peas love carrots.
I have got to admit that it was this name,' Peas love carrots', which got me to her blog. Kind of reminded me of this lovely movie, Forest Gump, where Forest and Jenny are like ' peas and carrots'. Anyway we have a few things in common ( I got to know this after reading seven random things about her) , besides food and chemistry. She is super creative. Go check out her 3- ingredient challenge. It was incredible. Great recipes, cute layout and fabulous pictures. And what's more. Just three ingredients. Neat and super neat!
Now this award has a few strings attached to it. One of them being not-something-I-like. Seven random things about me. I am pretty random. So its difficult to sort my randomness out. But I'll try for the Sun :)
1. I don't like to eat. I love to cook. I feel eating is the anticlimax to cooking.
you guys..sure you wanna read any further? :) well...
2. I want to turn old (naturally and gradually of course) so that I can wear pearls and chiffon.
3. I want to be a writer someday. But then i also want my own restaurant..I also want to be a traveller...a journalist....
4. As a child I never wanted to be a chemist or a geologist. I am a geochemist. As a kid I hated cooking and told everyone, ' I will never cook'. I want to be a chef. Follow the idea?
5. I hate parties. More than four people gathering leaves me tired. Even the thought.
6. I believe in fairies and intelligent life to be a natural fall out of planetary evolution. And I think there are scores of planet out there with intelligent life. It is a matter of time before we find out or better.. get found out
7. I think the world would be dead without Disney. I want to be the creator of something like Winnie the pooh. I don't think I will ever be that.
Okay random enough..and now the best part of the award. I have to pass it on to 7 bloggers. I feel confused. I have more than seven people who I would love to give this award to. So its hard to pick. But then well..comes with the territory. So, it is my honor to pass on this award to
1. The seventh level of boredom: I really make some of her recipes. He blog is a treasure house of easy to do- great food!. And she features so many bloggers too!
2. Murasaki of the Samurai Viking Cuisine: She has some of the most simple and amazing recipes up her sleeve and she knows exactly how to make them look as pretty as they really are.
3. Olga of Mango and tomatoes: Again a interesting blog. Has some real good recipes. But mostly I like the updates from her blogs on the ' hip-hop- happening' in the foodie world. A very personable style to boot :)
4. Palidor of the Crazy Asian Girl: One of my favorite bloggers, she knows to make Indian sweet dishes! I always thought one can never make them. You rock, Palidor!
5. Lex eat: I love love love her blog. Neat posts. She is now attending cooking school. And her updates are what draws me to her blog. Bees to honey pot :)
6. Girlchief: The lesser I talk about this one, the better it is. He blog features some of the best fusion recipes that I come across. Me, being a fan of fusion that is. You are the chief of good food!
7. Dick of Dick's rambling cafe: Dick has some of the best southern- comfort food. I totally drool over almost all his creations. You surely need to build a real cafe , Dick :)
There are so many more I want to give this to. So I will just special mention. Girls are made of, Fairy footprints, a full timed housefly, Mad chemist, Chow and chatter, My columbian recipe...and the list goes on.
Now to the second part of my post today. A Simple fish dish. This one is my mom's recipe. And she would make this whenever me or my sister would fall sick. In need of flavorful-but easy to digest-lean protein and veggie filled- soupy dish. She told me her mom made it for her when she was sick and in need of ...the above.
So, being flu-cold season, with people feeling cold and sick, an easy-peasy age old fish recipe, to perk up your congested day :)
1 trout fish. Clean the fish and divide it into three or four pieces. You can also use any fish you like. All is good.
2 medium size potatoes- sliced thickly
1 small eggplant. cubed
1 green chili pepper- optional
half a tsp of nigella. You can use whole allspice as well.
half a tsp of grated ginger
A pinch of turmeric
A pinch of cayenne pepper optional
3-4 tbsf of regular oil
2 cups of warm water
salt to season.
It is really quite simple to do.
Season both sides of fish with salt. Take a tsp of oil and rub it on both your palm and just lightly brush the fish in that oil. This should be enough for all the pieces of that one fish. Place the fish on a baking tray and broil it on high for 20 minutes or till fish is white.
Soften your potatoes and eggplant in a microwave for 2 minutes.
In a shallow skillet, heat the remaining oil. When hot, pop the nigella ( or allspice). Wait a couple of secs. Add the ginger . Fry for another minute. Add the turmeric and the cayenne pepper ( if you are using them, I don't). Fry for half a minute. Add the water. Here is a tip.Use as warm a water as you can. This makes any dish tastier. The hot water prevents clumping of spices which is what happens if you pour cold water or stock. If you are using stock take it out of refrigerator an hour before using. Will take that chill off . Bring to a boil. Season with salt and pepper. That is your curry sauce.
You can now do either of the following
1. Place the broiled fish in a serving tray and pour the sauce all over it
2. Put the fish back into the sauce for a couple of minutes. And take the whole thing of the stove.
The second option allows more penetration of the sauce into the fish.
Serve it with jasmine rice. Or some crunchy bread. Its awesome, especially if you are feeling under the weather. Good for your palate and easy on your tummy.
Happy eating and healthy living. Well maybe not so healthy is good for this week! :) :)